Custom Accounting Categories Overview
Airwallex Expense Management provides a seamless integration with Xero, NetSuite and QuickBooks. This means we will automatically import accounting data to Airwallex and have expenses sync back to your accounting software. However, in some cases, you may use an accounting software that is not directly supported by Airwallex. For these instances we provide a custom accounting data importer.
This guide will walk you through the process of importing accounting data from any accounting software into Airwallex, so your employees can easily and accurately code expenses. For exporting expense data from Airwallex please refer to this guide.
- How do I import my accounting data?
- How do I keep my accounting data up to date?
- How do I complete bulk changes?
- How do I delete & upload new accounting data?
How do I import my accounting data?
Step 1: Login to your Airwallex account and navigate to “Connections”, selecting “Using another accounting software?”
Step 2: “Get started” with this Connection, to begin setting up your accounting data
You will be able to set-up a chart of accounts, two custom categories fields and a tax rate field.
Step 3: Download the Airwallex import template
The template has four tabs corresponding to available fields in Airwallex. Chart of accounts is a required field when setting up accounting data, the other fields are optional.
Step 4: Download data from your accounting software, and format to align with the Airwallex .xlsx template
- When formatting your accounting software data to align with the Airwallex template, the “account name” (for chart of account) or “value name” (for custom fields and tax rates) is a required column. We recommend keeping the names of any records in line with your accounting software for this column. Each value in this column will need to be unique as we use it to avoid creating duplicates.
- The “Airwallex display name” is optional, and should reflect what you want your users to see when coding expenses in Airwallex. If you do not include a display name for a record, we will use the “account/value name”.
- Additionally, for the chart of accounts field you are also able to optionally add an account code.
Step 5: Upload populated template to Airwallex as a .xlsx file
In the instance, there is an error with an upload, we will generate an .xlsx file of impacted records and their errors. The downloaded error file will produce your uploaded file with an additional “Error Parsing” tab, which details the exact placement of errors. This will mean you can update your file, and ensure the final import aligns with your expectations.
Step 6: Configure your accounting data in a way that suits your needs
- Once you have uploaded your data, you will be able to review your import; adding, deleting or editing any records.
- Additionally, you can choose to select which fields are displayed and required for expense submission.
How do I keep my accounting data up to date?
Minor changes to existing accounting data:
> Navigate to “Connections”, selecting “Using another accounting software?” and “Edit” any existing fields.
> From here, you can add, rename, or delete data. Once you “Save changes” these will be visible to your users when coding expenses.
How do I complete bulk changes?
> Navigate to “Connections”, selecting “Using another accounting software?” and select “Edit uploaded data”.
> From here you can “download your existing data” as a .xlsx file and make edits, these can include:
- Adding records as new rows in the downloaded .xlsx file
- Renaming Airwallex display names for existing records
- Note: you cannot delete data by removing rows in the template, however, before saving your import in Airwallex, you will be able to delete any extra data
> Once you are comfortable with the changes, you can upload the updated file, and have an opportunity to review your updates for each field. As part of this review you will see:
- New records added
- Edited Airwallex display names
- Not matched records: this is data that was in Airwallex but not in your latest import file. As you review changes for each field, you can choose whether you want to delete these records or keep them
How do I delete & upload new accounting data?
Navigate to “Connections”, selecting “Using another accounting software?” and toggle the “...” to be able delete existing data.
> At this point, we will delete all your existing data, and you can import your accounting data from scratch.